9.19.2011

dusky lady

Black is a perennial favorite on the red carpet and off the red carpet. No other color (non-color?) is as timeless, classic, or elegant. So it was no surprise that this year's Emmy awards boasted a variety of black gowns, with a few midnights and deep plums thrown in for good measure.
First up, we have the controversial Pucci number worn by Gwyneth Paltrow. Sheer, midriff-baring, and beaded, this dress isn't like anything I've seen in recent memory. Some say it evoked Cher, you know, that dress. Despite its detractors, I personally thought Gwynnie looked fantastic. Kudos to her for trying a new silhouette instead of boring us senseless with a strapless mermaid gown picked out by a mass-market stylist. Plus, it looked very Indian chic, which is a cool twist for a shiksa goddess, no? 
Since her stint on True Blood, I'm a huge fan of Evan Rachel Wood and the dress looks fab on her, though I'd have loved to see it in a deep emerald green to set off her coloring.


 Julie Bowen in Oscar de la Renta. The dress is pretty, but she still looks like someone's mom.
 Glee cutie Naya Rivera looks chic, but come on! if you're 24 and on TV's hottest TV show you can bring it up a notch. Again, a color might have worked better on her gorgeous skintone.
The Big Bang Theory's Kaley Cuoco wears a tea-length frock and red accessories. I love that she's not playing it safe here. The dress has an interesting neckline and sheer details, plus the length is perfection for her-- highlighting her youth and playfulness. The textured updo is modern too.
I don't even recognize Minka Kelly. Forget mom, she looks like someone's grandmother. And to think most girls try to amp up the sex appeal post-breakup. The dress looks like a doily/lace curtain combo, her hair looks messy, and she simply blends into the background-- words I never thought I'd say about the stunning Minka. So much for making a certain baseball player sick with jealousy...
Yes, this is Kelly Osborne. If you don't recognize her, at least it's in a good way. The gray hair is not working for me (and please, wasn't that so last year?? hehe), but neck down she is lovely. Glamorous purple gown, classic silhouette, and teeny tiny body. Who knew? The tattoos are sweet accessories.


But who cares about me, tell me what you think. 


photos courtesy of glamour.com, popsugar.com, and cocoperez.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, not sure I like Gwyneth's look...she vacilates between boring and gutsy-gone-wrong, but I like that she at least tries...