6.11.2011

vamped



I posted the “royal combo” red and purple outfit yesterday and as promised, below are more deets on the hair and makeup. I did a more dramatic face than usual because I was the birthday girl after all, and hey, why not?


A retro pin-up with a hint of 20s was the inspiration . And while I’m not usually so matchy-matchy with my outfit and makeup, I really wanted to play with purples on my eye and a vampish lip.

Eyes: Mac shadows in Fig, Sketch, and Carbon; Stila shadow in Kitten; Loreal liquid liner; Rimmel eye pencil; DiorShow Exstase mascara.
Lips and Cheeks: Smashbox golden beige blush; The Body Shop burgundy lip liner (discontinued)



  • I first brushed a plum shadow (Fig) all over my eyelid to just above the crease, then dragged a darker metallic purple (Sketch) in the crease and along the outer corner of my eye, in a V shape. I also brushed Sketch along my lower lashline and smudged it to create a softer effect. 
  • With Carbon black shadow, I drew the brush along my upper lash line and winged it out slightly at the corners. Important: when done applying your shadow, use a blending brush to soften any harsh edges
  • As a final touch of shadow, I applied a metallic nude (Kitten) to the inner corner of my eye. This opens up the eye and adds brightness. 
  • I used liquid liner close to the lash line and winged it out, applied black eye pencil to my inner rims, and finished up with two coats of mascara. Tip: Wipe excess mascara off wand onto a tissue first. No clumps. 


Voila!— the dramatic smoky eye. If it seems like a lot of work, well… it only takes about 5-10 minutes total once you get the hang of it. You can use any color, but nudes and earth tones flatter most skin tones and make for a more subtle smoky eye. 

Hair
When the face is this done up, I like to keep the hair looking natural. 

  • I rough dried it until it was about 90% dry, then used a round barrel brush to create some body and bend. I’m pretty hopeless with a blowdryer and only use it if my hair is sopping wet before a party (though I do know some useful tips and tricks!). 
  • That night I ran my fingers through my blown-out hair to muss it up a bit, applied a dab of Kiehl’s silk grooming crème to the ends, and then created a deep side part and secured with a bobby pin. Super easy and works with most hair types and lengths. Tip: hairspray actual bobby pin before placing for better hold.





Outfit: for more pics of the 'fit, check my last post "royal combo". Below, a recreation of the look.


royal combo

TopShop body con dress
$130 - topshop.com

Oasis scoop neck top
35 GBP - oasis-stores.com

Sportmax pants
175 GBP - harveynichols.com

Christian Louboutin peep toe pumps
495 GBP - net-a-porter.com

Michael Kors silver jewelry
$250 - endless.com

Nadri sparkle jewelry
$58 - nordstrom.com

Dorothy Perkins cluster ring
9.50 GBP - dorothyperkins.com

Crystal jewelry
$595 - giuseppezanottidesign.com

3 comments:

urbandon (Don Pezzano) said...

Beautiful colours and makeup. Oh, and Happy Birthday!

street number eight said...

thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

Looking through your blog, it's great! Do more makeup/hair looks please, you're gorgeous and I'd love to know what you use :) Thank you!