5.03.2011

met gala: high risk

High risk, high reward? Sometimes. But then other times-- oh no no no no! These stars exhibited quite the risky (fashion) behavior at last night's Met Gala, and while I always appreciate the effort, a few of them had me shaking my head. And the rest, well I kind of want to high-five them. I know you won't always agree with me on the below, but that's why I want to hear your thoughts. Enjoy!
Socialite and style maven Daphne Guinness in Alexander McQueen
has the fashion chops to pull of this incredible feathered gown.

Vogue editor-at-large and fashion personality Andre Leon Talley looks
majestic and Met-worthy in his voluminous blue robe.
I'm kind of over seeing Rihanna in see-through dresses. She's young
enough and rad enough to wear anything, but.. next, please. And the long
Heidi-like braid doesn't do her rock-starness any justice.

This look is very Mary Kate Olsen: vintage, baggy, bohemian.
No one else could wear it but I really do kind of love it on her.

Another uniquely Janelle Monae look, and she pulls off the top hat and
tux with panache. This is when individuality works!

Legendary Vogue editor Anna Wintour in Chanel. It's age-appropriate
and fitting for her high fashion-ness. I can't make out many of the details,
but have a feeling it looks way better in person.

Iman in a sequined jumpsuit. I'm thinking hubby David Bowie helped
her pick this one out! Does anyone want to tell her that the days of Studio
54 are over? But in all honesty, she looks fab.

I like the attempt by Freida Pinto, but don't think she really pulls of this
avante-garde look. Now if she got rid of the tie and clunky shoe...

I love a man in a kilt. Period. Especially if said man is Marc Jacobs.

Alicia Keys looks drab and dull in this brown crocodile dress. It's
aging and completely un-figure flattering

Vogue Japan editor and fashion risk-taker extraordinaire Anne Dello Russo
was inspired by the Easter egg (no, seriously). This is how you do crazy well!
She's incredible, and I want her pants immediately.

Serena Williams looking like a sea anemone on Christmas. Sigh.
Fashion disaster. Good thing she's an ace on the courts.

Be honest-- did you hate them all? For prettier-pretty Met looks, look here.

1 comment:

Maxy said...

HAHA Serena Williams. That is OTT. ADR is amazing, I don't think I've ever seen her in an outfit I didn't love. Janelle Monae also looked fab. And I disagree about MK, I think she was boring and could've been far more impressive.